Choosing Social Media Software Tips
In my 16 years of online marketing, having tried many different apps, and systems, I have learned to be super cautious and selective about using any kind of automation.
I also love AI – I own a Tesla Model X, which drives me to work at the airport every day so how could I not appreciate it. I find the world of artificial intelligence is fascinating. It’s also developing at lightning speed.
Social media app automation is more about what NOT to do rather than choosing which software app you should be using!
WHY is more important than WHAT!
Quality is crucial in digital & social media marketing.
Anything that “smells of” automation to your audience should be avoided at all costs. People want to interact with a real person and not a robot, unless the robot can deliver something of [quite literally] – superhuman value to them.
This could be in the form of search results, delivered by a complex algorithm.
Or a survey bot that gave detailed data analysis in a form or report that is easy to interpret into useful data.
Or a chatbot that can help provide better answers for your visitors, to give you a better understanding of what they are looking for and how they are asking for it.
Or maybe an app that can post your hand-picked, favorite content to your social media account. I personally like using apps like MeetEdgar and also IFTT.com to free up my time to find the best content to share. By making the job of posting content more streamlined, I can produce better content for my readers.
If you put the time into creating good content, it’s fine to use software to post it.
This comes with a few caveats:
- Do not put pressure on yourself to keep feeding content into your app or software.
- Make sure your software can format posts so they format nicely. This is really important for your reputation. Posting poorly formatted posts is like uploading blurry pictures. Having messy or obviously machine-generated can damage your credibility.
- If you run out of content, you can, on a limited basis, post pictures of people and things that are relevant to your audience with a link to your gallery, or post them to an album. If you use MeetEdgar, you can select posts that are for use as filler posts. If you run out of content, MeetEdgar will pick content from a Category or Categories you have chosen to be used again. Most audiences don’t see all your posts anyhow, so there is no need to fear over exposing people to too much repetition.
- Do use quality images that are correctly formatted and won’t be trimmed in weird ways. This is one of my pet peeves with software automation. Yes you can upload a big CSV file of page URL’s and photos for the software to automagically post, but it is important to manually preview what your posts will look like before hitting the GO button. This can be time consuming. Remember that different devices format files differently too, for instance images taken with iPhones sometimes appear rotated when uploaded off the phone itself.
6. Cost – Software can be expensive – ridiculously so. Test and trial it first before you buy. The fact is – unless it is easy to use, you probably won’t use it.
When You Want To Avoid Overwhelm
If you are thinking of using software because you are feeling overwhelmed, you may need help prioritizing what tasks are most important and what to let go of. Software will help you, yes, but it’s important to have a clear picture of who you are trying to reach and what you are trying to achieve with app or software first.
The question of what software you need might be better replaced with the question: “where is my marketing working and in what areas should I be focused”. If you understand this, then great, it will be a lot easier to recognize the right tools when you see them.
It may sound a bit blunt, but it’s really easy to get bogged down with lots of tasks and overlook what’s actually working, and what’s not.
With all of the content and promotion that seems to be necessary to promote a business, it’s hard to pinpoint where your time is best spent. And where your money is best invested!
I can say this because I’ve spent a fortune testing all kinds of promotion strategies, so I’ve learned the expensive way, what actually works and why.
This is what I aim to help people understand in their own business by reading and watching my newsletter and videos.
When to set your marketing plan in action
Breaking your marketing plan down into specific categories of audience is the first step. Browsers, Shoppers and Buyers, and then setting out a plan that can include automation to deliver your content and products to them at the right place and time.
Then you can pick software which helps you target the WHO with the right content and WHAT they want at their different buying stages (readiness to buy).
Digital Marketing software I personally use
To be honest there are not many tools I now use, I have narrowed them down to a few:
Market Samurai – a search engine keyword research tool.
Content Samurai for making super easy videos (25% off with this link
Or download THE ULTIMATE YOUTUBE SEO CHEAT-SHEET
Amasuite of research tools for finding interests and keyword intent. I use this set of software tools pretty much daily.
For DropShipping site set up & promotion I recommend this course EComElites but you don’t need to use Dropified/Oberlo or Shopify monthly subscriptions to get started a dropshipping store. Read more about dropshipping here.
One of my favorite plugin tools for WordPress sites is Social Rabbit
It is very user-friendly and creates posts that are well-formatted. It’s also a great price! I use it on all my websites.
More digital marketing software I use regularly:
SpinRewiter A content spinner for repurposing your content (produces quality results if you watch the training videos). I don’t post text from this directly, I just use it to create smaller content posts or longer guest posts based on a previous article I have written.
Fiverr.com Fiverr is the world’s largest freelance services marketplace for entrepreneurs to focus on growth & create a successful business at an affordable cost.
MeetEdgar.com I LOVE this software after trying many others (resulting in much frustration and expense). Edgar is so easy to use, and cost efficient. If you click this link and become an Edgar client both you and I get a $10 credit. If you use the code 2ndchances you’ll also get a 20% discount (shhhh don’t tell anyone).
Wordfence WordPress security. Easy to use and great security options.
Generatepress themes. The cleanest, fastest wordpress theme we have found. And you can use one license for many websites for one low cost.
TipsandTricks For really good quality user-friendly, simple yet robust WordPress plugins.
20dollarbanners.com Great quality fast turnaround banners for ads and websites.
Lightningbase Hosting. In our opinion the most reliable and helpful hosting. Also lightning fast with no php hosting conflicts.