Why would I want to Stream on Twitch?
Twitch is the biggest online platform for streaming anything from e-sports, social gaming, and even your day-to-day life.
Now don’t get Streaming confused with online video, that award goes to YouTube. Streaming is a LIVE feed of your camera showing the viewer an unfiltered and unedited “show”.
This makes it the best platform for talking directly to your fans and loyal supporters. Of course, not every business is going to need a Twitch presence but if you are in the business of building a brand, becoming a social-queen or something that involves public relationships, Twitch is the way to get it done.
Now firstly, we need to look at what kind of businesses/people would benefit from Twitch:
- Public Figures
- TV Personalities
- Gaming Professionals
- Gamers in general
- Brand ambassadors
If you are in the business of selling wholesale steel this really isn’t necessary to your business’s online requirements.
However, if you are any of the above-mentioned people/businesses and you enjoy gaming socially, Twitch can be a method of further brand awareness and a revenue stream.
An Example of Twitch streaming as Revenue
I’ll give you a great example of a not-so-great college student who became famous by literally being a complete donkey online. We won’t mention any names but this character started a Twitch channel casually while still in school in order to make a few extra dollars each month. He was a very angry person and soon gained a following just off the back of being a complete Jackass to everyone online.
He was eventually banned from twitch but was allowed a probational period after 2 years.
Currently, his streams can amass over 30000 viewers on most days and all he does is play games.
The road to gaining a following on Twitch is a long one but if you are a business owner during the day and you enjoy gaming at night, Twitch could be the way to grow your brand and satisfy your gaming needs.
How to gain a Twitch Following
There are a few things you will need to do in order for you to gain any kind of following:
- Be consistent – Have a schedule and don’t be late. You’ll need to dedicate at least 4-7 days a week.
- Hours not minutes – You’ll need to make your channel into a daily show, a minimum of 3 hours is recommended for people to get their fix.
- Be Entertaining – You need to have a personality. If you are generally reserved and monotone Twitch will probably be a waste of time for you, BUT everyone can learn how to be entertaining.
- Be You – Unless your brand or onscreen personality is based on acting, just be yourself and create relationships with your viewers.
- Give back – Viewers love to interact with the streamer and if you create personalized emoticons, special ranks, and other benefits then you will attract more followers.
- Don’t take it personally – You will get nasty people online, that is the internet. What matters is how you deal with them, rather ignore the people making rude comments or ban them but DO NOT, retaliate.
- Keep a Theme – Give yourself a theme, a specific manner and run with it. Create your own style and be unique.
It is an evening, or morning schedule that you will inevitably be doing for the rest of your life, but you could be doing worse things like filling in paperwork instead of playing games in the comfort of your own home.
How to make Money on Twitch
Money making on Twitch is simple in theory but fairly complex in execution. This is really only a concern if you are planning on making your online business completely about gaming.
Let’s be realistic though, the biggest YouTube star PewDiePie, has made MILLIONS of dollars off of silly gaming videos where he just has fun. So keep your head down, keep pushing forward, and strive for what you want to achieve.
There are a few ways streamers make money on Twitch
- Subscribers – Yes people can subscribe to your channel to directly support you.
- Bits – Bits are like, Twitch coins and they can cheer you with Bits for doing cool stuff on your stream.
- Donations – A lot of the top streamers use donations as a way for fans to get a direct message to them. In essence, you leave a message with your small donation and the streamer gets a notification and will read it live. When you have 30000 people trying to talk in one chat, this is definitely a way the real supporters can be sure to get there questions or compliments across.
- Endorsements – Top gamers get sponsored by certain companies to spread awareness of their product. This equates to free products and money in the Streamers pocket.
- Ads – Twitch plays ads when someone first joins the stream and certain streamers have the ability to air ads at their discretion.
There is one point that I have not mentioned yet as it requires its own explanation.
Your Own Website, Brand, and Authority
As far as being a full-time dreamer, you could make a living off just playing games and streaming for your couple hundred loyal fans. HOWEVER, you could further capitalize and increase your following by using the following extras:
- Website – I cannot stress enough how much further you could get with a business website, brand, and merchandise or downloadables for your fans to further support you and feel like they have a piece of you. Without sounding creepy your are creating a relationship with hundreds of people and they all long to be made feel special, the best way you can do that is to show how much you care by making something they can purchase to have a permanent and tangible item to know they are part of the team.
- YouTube – The perfect place to upload gaming videos of specific playthroughs, cut-scenes, vlogs for your fans to see the real you and even openings of sponsored products. YouTube is a huge plus when growing your website’s presence and so having a social media presence will exponentially grow your organic presence on Google’s search engine.
- Brand and Authority – Creating a brand, whether it is just your name or something catchy, will give you an authority over your viewers as you will come across successful and from a place of authority. This will gain you instant respect among newcomers and help you convert “unknowns” into fans.
Whatever you sell online, knowing how to engage more of your readers, earn trust and increase your online conversion rates is a valuable skill to have.
This book teaches you the fundamental principles of creating on-page copy that takes readers through the mental and emotional journey they need to go through before they are ready to buy.
Learn the principles top copywriters use to create engaging highly motivating ‘copyfied’ content that sells with integrity and without hype or fluff! Content tweaks to convert more readers into buyers! Build trust and stronger relationships with your readers.
- Create ‘sticky’ followers that want to come back for more.
- Create irresistible content people what to share with others.
- Take the pain out of trying to come up with compelling copy with easy to follow templates and guides that make writing faster and easier.